Prospective students with bachelor (or higher) degree who want to pursue their Ph.D. outside of Japan in the fields of science and engineering, life sciences, and economics, with a focus on information science and technology.
Note: Applicants must have Japanese citizenship or permission to reside permanently in Japan.
- 11:59 PM, on September 30th, 2023 (Japanese Standard Time)
- Duration of funding
- 2 years (Note: 3 years for Ph.D. program in U.K.)
- Details of financial support
- TuitionFull coverage
- Medical insuranceFull coverage
- Living expenses3,000 USD per month
- Startup support500,000 JPY (for students residing in Japan)
- Travel expensesRound trip airfare
- Required documents for application
Regarding item (1), download and use the designated format from our website.
*Application documents will not be returned regardless of whether the applicant passes the selection or not.
Study plan, career plan after obtaining Ph.D.
Please upload a PDF file from the application screen on “My-Page”. Uploading is acceptable only during the reception period. The designated format can be downloaded during the same period shown above.
Evaluation forms (three forms required)
Write in Japanese or English. The evaluation form is an important document to determine whether you can enter a graduate school in overseas.
In order to conduct an appropriate selection, the content of the evaluation form must be equivalent to the content of the recommendation letter to the university of your choice.
The evaluation form should be requested from a person who can describe the applicant's activities in detail and who has a good understanding of the applicant's abilities and personality.
Transcripts of academic records
Upload all academic transcripts of academic records from the bachelor program to the time of application, from the application screen of “My-Page”.
A copy of “Residence Card“ or “Special Permanent Resident Certificate” if you are a
foreign national permitted to reside permanently in Japan.
- Study plan, career plan after obtaining Ph.D.
- Application Method
Register “My-Page” from the application form, then fill out the necessary information, and request the evaluator to upload the documents of (2). Documents (1)(3), and (4) should be uploaded as PDF files.
If you are signing in for the second or subsequent time, please enter from the login button displayed at the right side of the top header of our website.
- Number of admitted scholars
- Approximately 10 students, mainly in the fields of science and engineering, life sciences, and economics, will be accepted.
- Selection process
- The Foundation's Scholarship Selection Committee will conduct a document screening on October, 2023. The selected applicants will be interviewed on October, 2023. The results will be notified 1-2 weeks after the interview (normally).
- Other notes
- While receiving a scholarship from us, the scholars may not receive financial support from other foundations for Ph.D. study.